We aim to celebrate the legacy of the Mount Carmel Area by providing a safe environment for all community members where heritage, innovation, and collaboration come to life. With your help, we can provide opportunities that will enrich lives and engage all generations in educational, recreational, and cultural activities.
Jake Betz is director of the Mother Maria Kaupas Center, a ministry of Divine Redeemer Church. He is retired from a 40-year career as a reporter and editor at The News-Item, a daily newspaper based in Shamokin.
Cathy Besser, owner of Academy Sports Center, a family-owned business since 1951. She is,Treasurer of the Mount Carmel Historical Society, Trustee at the First United Methodist Church, along with various other organizations.
Judy is “the brains of the operation.” As the treasurer and an Mt. Carmel local she understands the community’s needs financially, socially, and culturally.
Alred R. Riedel
Al Riedel, raised in Kulpmont is an architectural illustrator and graphic/environmental designer. He has led with creativity throughout his long and successful career designing, ideating, and illustrating for all kinds of public and private structures.
Amy was born, raised and still resides in Mount Carmel. She is the proud mother of four Mount Carmel High School graduates and continues to be involved in the school district as a first grade teacher.
Charmange Cimino, a lifelong resident of Mount Carmel, is a retired LNP and certified coding specialist. She is a former member of Mount Carmel Borough Council and is president and a life member of Clover Hose Ladies Auxiliary.
Maryrose McCarthy has been working in human services for the majority of her career and currently serves as the Chief Clerk with the County of Northumberland. She also is the proud parent and grandparent of two beautiful grandchildren.
Mount Carmel, incorporated in 1862, was a thriving mining town in the heart of Pennsylvania. Light has shown brightly in this town since Thomas Edison placed one of his first generator plants here and the town became one of the first in the country to have electric streetlights! Although mining has slowed the town is thriving thanks to local manufacturers and a recent revitalization effort! The Community Center is being built from within the Philips mansion which was bought by the local American Legion in 1929, playing host to generations of weddings and events. This community center will serve as the glue to a revitalizing community, a celebration of every individual's efforts, and a sign of what's to come!